Monday, October 18, 2010

My First Book of Burns

My husband surprised me with a wonderful gift- a beautiful book of Burns poems! (Isn't he super?) The book is gorgeous and quite old, from 1902. 


Burns was such a prolific writer- we have so many poems, songs and essays to read.


I found this poem when I opened the book at random. I love it!

My Heart 's In The Highlands


My heart 's in the Highlands, my heart is not here;
My heart 's in the Highlands, a chasing the deer;
Chasing the wild deer, and following the roe -
My heart 's in the Highlands wherever I go.

Farewell to the Highlands, farewell to the North,
The birth-place of valour, the country of worth;
Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love.

Farewell to the mountains high cover'd with snow;
Farewell to the straths and green valleys below;
Farewell to the forests and wild hanging woods;
Farewell to the torrents and loud-pouring floods.

My heart 's in the Highlands, my heart is not here;
My heart 's in the Highlands a chasing the deer;
Chasing the wild deer, and following the roe -
My heart 's in the Highlands, wherever I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment